Archive for the ‘Stories’ Category

Displays, dioramas, and artifacts are what we see in museums, but there are other items, like information, that are harder to get at. In the physical world of the museum, showing stuff is easy, while presenting information can be hard. To present information better, the Logging Museum is moving its historical files to a place that’s easy to get to — the website. By digitizing information hidden in files and memories, it becomes accessible, complementing the artifacts that fill the museum building.

Suddenly, a Logging Museum visitor can see not just a working model of a lumber mill, but the historical and biographical materials that explain why a particular living person at a particular lumber company built a particular type of mill at a particular geographic location at a particular time. Physical and digital combine to give a bigger picture than either can provide alone. Think of these web pages as our digital museum.

Please enjoy the new website — it’ll be here anytime you look. To enjoy the Logging Museum in person, visit us Thursday through Sunday, 12:00 to 4:00, April through late Fall. We’re in Calaveras County, just off California Highway 4 in the town of White Pines (near Arnold), 4000 feet up in the Sierra’s beautiful tall timber.

Fishing Frog on White Pines Lake bordering the Logging Museum
Photo by Dick James


Read Full Post »

1945 International Logging Truck

Arrives at Museum

A post WWII  era truck that was used in the Yosemite and Pinecrest area has been donated to the museum. It was transported to the museum by Sam Berri Towing and is in place now in its new home.

45 International Logging TruckClick for larger image. In fact you can click again on any particular part of the truck and get an enlarged image of that part.

This is the truck in 1952 hauling logs out of the Yosemite area. Note the interesting trailer that carried logs slung from the upper structure.

Many more photos of this company and their equipment in the “Outdoor Exhibits” section of our web site.

New Photos and Information About P.G.&E’s Tiger Creek Lumber Mill

We’ve added a number of new photos to the Amador County Mills section of our web site. In particular, we’ve added a lot of new photos of the P.G.&E’s mill at Tiger Creek. They used canals (ditches) to transport much of their lumber.

There is also a photo of the Mace Mill in 1889

Look in the index under Amador County, or click here.

Tiger Creek Lumber Mill

Photos and accompanying text about Linebaugh Logging

We have an entirely new page called Some photos and some history of Linebaugh Logging. Click on the name here, or find it on the index at the right.

There is a great new-to-the-web photo on the Blagen Mill site of a giant log being split by a couple of loggers with a two-man chain saw.

There are a couple of new photos on the Raggio Mill site showing, among other things, their camp just off the Utica Grade Road, 3 miles about Murphys on San Domingo Road.

New! Many photos and a little text about Ed Adams, Blagen Mill Superintendent

Shay Prints for Sale!

Great News! Patrick’s Prints now on Special Sale Reduced by 1/3 rd. !!!!!

In cooperation with Patrick, the logging museum is selling collector-quality prints of two of his paintings that are in the OSH calendar. All proceeds from these sales go to support the restoration of Yosemite Lumber Co. Shay No.4. The Company Store has all the details.

Read Full Post »